Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reunited at last.

On Monday the 24th of April, my camera and I were finally reunited. After over a month of depressed separation, it was in my hands once again. Good things happened while it was being repaired, I certainly learned a lot about creativity. It was also drilled into me quite well that the camera doesn't take good pictures, I take good pictures with the camera. It is me, not the equipment, that determines a good photograph.



It's so easy to get caught up in the glamor and excitement of sophisticated equipment.This last year has been a whirlwind of technical knowledge and immersion into new cameras and electronic items. Bodies, lenses, cables, flashes. It's all so much and so very exciting. One step at a time though.

I've been ecstatic to have my camera back. I can hardly believe how much I've missed it. I feel so complete with it back in my hands, it feels right to be shooting with it. Having had it for three years I've developed some amazing muscle memory regarding the button placement.

I was discussing this with a friend, do I love my D80 so much because I'm used to it? Because I've had it for so long? Because it was my first dSLR? All of the above, perhaps? No matter the reason, it is my favorite and I will never kick it out of my life. I hope to have a D300s by the end of the year, but my D80 will always have a special place in my heart.

The shoe photos up there are from my 365 of the day. I bought them two days ago and they're really comfortable; they're the first new pair I've bought in quite a long time.

For the photos I just pointed my SB800 at the shoes with the dome diffuser on. I took a lot of different shots with the shoes at various angles and moved the flash around to get the most interesting lighting. I have sorely missed being able to use a nice off camera flash. I love my SB800. I'm really learning how to make the most of only having one, and I certainly look forward to the day when I have multiples!

There haven't been that many photo opportunities for me since I received my camera, unfortunately. I've been otherwise preoccupied with work and school, getting home late and going to bed! This weekend will change that though. I'm participating in the 24 hour Photo-thon! Expect lots and lots of photos next week.

-MJ

No comments:

Popular Posts

Trying to find something?